Wednesday, April 8, 2009

To: sibbyonline@hotmail.com
Subject: SB171
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:08:46 -0600


Mr. Sibson,

We have never met, but it appears that we are both concerned about the potential consequences of a oil pipeline spill in South Dakota.

I listened to the testimony at the Senate State Affairs Committee hearing on SB171. In researching the issue, I also listened to testimony relating to SB190. A question by Senator Abdalah at the most recent hearing seemed to cut to the heart of the issue and lack of a satisfactory response left me wonder why anyone would be against this legislation.

Comments by Senator Rhoden regarding other legislation and the legislative process made me think that perhaps he could explain to me why this legislation (SB171) was killed in committee by a one vote margin. He did not respond to my letter. Consequently, I wrote to the editor of the Rapid City Journal 3-22-09, asking South Dakotans why we wouldn't want this limited, alternative protection.

Now, I'm asking you.

Sincerely,
Greg Olson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg,

Thanks for your email.

The answer to your question is that the Governor is against this idea. He is afraid of scaring away business. And the Governor pretty much runs thw show in Pierre.

I am surprised Larry did not reply to you. Larry is one of the better legislators, although he is not infalliable. He pushes the line as far as he can.

There is a lot of things we need to be concerned about today. Not sure if we can put a stop to them, but I for one believe the fight must happen.

Keep in touch,
Steve

No comments: